Friday, April 10, 2009

Off-Topic

I haven't posted in a while, and for that I apologize!

This is a not a wedding related post as much as it is a rant about our local grocery.

I've been shopping at King Soopers (aka City Market or Krogers) and have been happy to see that our overall grocery bill has come down with the decline in gas prices. A loaf of bread (at least the healthier kind that isn't loaded with corn syrup) came down from the $4.50 price range, and even Tide detergent has retreated from it's exaggerated price.

Two weeks ago, they came out with this new gimic and advertising campaign that they have 'Lowered Prices on Produce'. Fabulous! Or so I thought. . . .

Things are not what they seem, ladies. I'm really surprised that King Soopers thinks that we wouldn't notice the corresponding price INCREASE on everything else!

Let me just say, it's blatantly obvious that King Soopers 'lower prices on produce' and new, bright sunny yellow price tag boards are a desperate attempt to lure us away from Colorado's up and coming grocery chain: The Sunflower Market. Knowing that, it should be no surprise that this smaller, friendlier grocer offers absolutely unbeatable prices on locally grown produce advertised on, yes, bright sunny yellow signs!

Unfortunately we don't yet have a Sunflower Market in our city, or I would take my business there. More than anything else I'm irritated that King Soopers is trying to make out like they've done this great thing by lowering prices on produce, that they are helping our community during turbulent economic times, and that they are 'responding to the way we live'. All the while bread has magically crept back up to $4.50, the energy bars I get for hiking have gone from $1.25 to $1.50, and Dave's hair gel has gone from $6.00 to $12.00 (no kidding).

I understand that the cost of business must be incredible, especially when you factor in the most important distinction between King Soopers and the Sunflower Market: local produce. On that same note, a majority of my grocery bill does consist of produce considering that both Dave and I love to eat fresh fruit and vegetables. I buy a lot of produce each week, but regardless of this 'price decrease' I'm still spending the same on groceries. Hmmmmm. . . .

It really just boils down to the principle of the matter more than anything else. Dave also noticed, and went so far as to call the manager out on the overnight $6.00 price increase on hair gel. The manager stuttered and had nothing more to say but 'we'll look into it.'

One other thing I've noticed, is that the quality of the produce has SHARPLY declined. They are all stamped with a 'product of Mexico' sticker, which did not exist before because our produce came primarily from California. Every box of strawberries I've purchased since the price change has included at least one slimy berry and another moldy one. Neither are visible - they are always in the middle of the box. The tomatoes are mushy, the lettuce wilted, and the grapes soft and much to squishy (not to mention the occasional moldy one in there as well).

I'm happy to pay a little more for produce if I'm getting quality food; after all we are landlocked here in Colorado and don't grow a lot of our own fruits and vegetables. Next week I'm going to Safeway. . . .

No comments: