Wednesday, April 22, 2009

DIY Head Piece


I have never imagined myself as a bride in a veil. While trying on gowns in the bridal salons our consultant would always insist that I try one on: and after experimenting with everything from the popular fingertip length to a full out cathedral (the only one that would be appropriate for my dress) I never got comfortable with the idea. Not only do they make me feel silly, but Dave made it clear months ago that he also is not a fan of the veils (nor is he fond of pickup skirts, mermaid dresses, or giant sparkly ball gowns. . .great! Me neither. . .).

So, I set out to find something appropriate to wear as a head piece with my simple, elegant a-line not-sparkly dress. What I found was pictures of brides who had embellished their hair with flowers; that was all the inspiration I needed!

I haven't been for my hair trial yet, but am looking to keep my hair in a low, loose chignon with bangs and to place the flowers to one side of it. One of my favorite photos of bridal hair is from this gorgeous wedding (right).

At Michael's I found, in the bridal aisle, 3 ivory roses that are soft and made of a foamy type of material (so they have that same shimmery touch as a real flower). Previously I had also found some purple berries, and having had trouble finding somewhere to place them until now were a perfect match for the roses and offer an nice, colorful touch.

I used hot glue and floral wire to secure them to a clear hair comb; it was that simple and took less than 20 minutes. The roses match the ivory of the hydrangeas in my bouquet, and the pearl earrings and necklace I found at Kohls (another great clearance find that couldn't be more perfect for my dress) are the icing on the cake.

I'm definitely not good at doing my own hair, and need a bang trim, however I managed to sweep my hair up into a messy bun for effect and am happy with the results!

1 comment:

Maggie said...

The hairpiece looks great!