Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dresses Everywhere!

47 Days.

That's how long I have to get my stuff together for this wedding!

One major thing is that I need to do is get my (store sample) dress cleaned. This terrifies me, because it's silk (which unfortunately = hard to clean properly) and I love my dress so much that I can't imagine having to find another that compares.

Most of the time silk gowns come back fine, but it's a fact that cleaning does reduce the amount of sizing, which is the filler they use to turn silk into silk satin. Sizing provides the sheen and weight to the fabric, which is part of why I love this dress; it photographs beautifully. I'm considering just having it spot cleaned for the wedding, and then having it fully cleaned and preserved after. The dirty spots aren't very noticeable and are both around the hem and by the zipper; spot cleaning eliminates the chance that the sizing will get ruined, and after an hour of being outside getting pictures done the dress will be less than pristine by the ceremony as it is!

I found a dress for the rehearsal dinner, a $130 Calvin Klein dress that I got at Burlington Coat factory for less than $40! They had it in white, yellow, and brown; I got it in brown because yellow is an awful color for my complexion (very fair) as is the white (had it been ivory instead it would have been my first choice). I plan on dressing it up with a flower in my hair or pinned to my waist (or a bright colored sash), a nice clutch, a shawl, and some nice shoes. Please excuse the fact that it's wrinkled! When I bought it the rain was coming down like crazy and I didn't have an umbrella, so the clerk folded it super small and double-bagged it.

What was really fun was trying it on in my old size, and having to try on 3 more until it was small enough to fit! Even now it's a little big, and I have to get the straps shortened (not an uncommon problem for me). I have another cute dress (black with polka dots and pink ribbon accents, in the old size) that I wore to my first bridal shower; it's now too big and will have to be taken in if I don't give it to one of my friends (who loves it anyways!).

This brown Calvin Klein dress will also serve as my bridal shower dress for this coming weekend, a two day event organized by my Matron of Honor that includes my 'Bachelorette Party'.

My Matron of Honor (MOH) paired with one of my bridesmaids to rent a beautiful little secluded cabin in the mountains near our venue. They are hosting my second shower there, which will be followed by a girls night. My MOH knows me well enough to know that I would not be the least bit interested in the traditional (if it can be called that) night of bar hopping and silly games; instead we're spending the night in this cabin, watching some fun girly movies, and going for a hike the next day.

I'm excited for this coming weekend!

The RSVP's are coming back, usually coming in piles of two or three per day. It's been very fun to check the mail box each day, although today was mildly dissapointing. Mixed in with a few that we knew were going to be definite 'yes' and definite 'no' replies was one from Daves former boss and his family. We thought they would likely come, and because Dave has a good relationship with this boss both of us were dissapointed that they declined. Included in their response was a wonderful note explaining a previous obligation; however it was the first 'decline' we didn't expect.

All par for the course: it did open up some space on the guest list and I'm getting to work on a few more invitations *just in case*.

No comments: