Monday, March 16, 2009

DIY Pomanders



I loved the idea of making pomanders for my bridesmaids, feeling that they offered both something elegant, and something unique.

After some thought, we decided to use silk flowers for the majority of our floral arrangements for several reasons:

a. Cost. Silk flowers are substantially cheaper than real ones, and hiring a florist was not an option for our budget, not to mention hard to justify.
b. Storage. It would be really difficult to have to care for, and store real flowers and keep them pristine before the actual wedding.
c. Silk flowers can be arranged ahead of time instead of the day before, or of the wedding.

This week at Michael's they had all of their spring stems 50% off, and since hydrangeas were one of our top picks it was the time to buy. Michael's had beautiful hydrangea stems in several colors, and we chose purple, green, and yellow to make the pomanders with.

Once we got home, I started making the first pomander and quickly realized our mistake: I used up almost every stem (of 15 we bought) on what quickly became a large, 12 inch diameter ball of flowers. Much to big, not to mention heavy and way to quick to use up too many flowers!

The styrofoam balls were 6", and I should have used much smaller ones. So, Dave and I went to Michael's and picked up 15 more hydrangea stems to start over with. I am also thinking I should be able to re-use the offending pomander flowers on smaller balls!

To make the pomanders, I poked a bamboo skewer through the center to create a straight hole for the ribbon to pass through. I used floral wire like a large wire threader to pull the ribbon through the foam ball, and then wrapped the ends up and around and secured them with hot-glue.

I cut each bunch of hydrangeas off the stem and created piles of each color of hydrangeas. I used each stem to poke a hole in the styrofoam with, which I then filled with a dab of hot glue and the replaced the stem. The color of the flowers are placed randomly throughout the ball, which lends to our elegant mountain wildflowers theme.

The flowers look amazingly fresh and real, and will hold up in the July heat without wilting!

No comments: