Monday, February 9, 2009

DIY Cardbox

I don't know what reminded me that we needed a card box, but once I remembered I quickly ruled out the usual 'birdcage box' and also decided that a basket wasn't going to cut it. I've heard stories of strangers grabbing handfuls of cards out of open card boxes at weddings and making off with what usually has cash, checks, and gift cards in it. Although our venue only hosts one wedding per day, we have no control over any other events (such as a rehearsal dinner or meeting) and to be on the safe side I've made an enclosed card box.

At Michael's we found cardboard hat boxes that happen to be in ivory. I found some fake leaves that reminded me of aspens and have a shimmery look to them (like our invitations!), and decided that those paired with the same green ribbon I'm using to make the invitations would make for an inexpensive, unique, and tasteful card box.

I started by measuring out the center of the top of the box and then cutting a slit in the lid.

I used hot glue to attach the ribbon around the rim of the lid.

Then I carefully placed the leaves on the front of the box and glued them in place.

The whole project took less than 20 minutes, and cost about $10.00 (which is much less than buying a birdcage card box would have been!).

It will be placed on one of the taffeta runners and of course, have some river rocks scattered around it. I think Dave is doing to look at it and raise his eyebrows (it's kind of girly) but I asked for his input last week and he had no clue :)

The other thing I considered, knowing that Dave would like it, would be to get my hands on one of those little tabletop size tents they use to display tent models at REI - and then putting a slit in it for the cards to pass through. However, they are impossible to get ahold of (the store doesn't sell them, just uses them for display purposes) and that might be getting a little on the kitschy side. If I *happen* to find one, I may use it instead and make it a surprise for Dave.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

You inspired me to try this! I thought about doing the DIY photo frame card box. But that seems too expensive to me. This seems like such a cute idea!